“The use of technology is a single experience among many ways to contribute to the understanding of a particular concept.” -- Brian Puerling,
Technology is just another tool in a teacher's toolbox ...In preschool, how can we use technology as another tool or resource to use in our teaching? Here are some thoughts!
- Watch a video of something like apple cider being made before actually making it.
- Use videos to learn/hear other languages.
- Video conference with family members of children in class who speak other languages.
- Use digital cameras to photograph field trips or special events - use photos to create a class book or PowerPoint slide with captions to extend learning about the trip or topic.
- Take pictures of children reading books, holding books properly, turning pages by the corners, etc and display in reading area.
- View other ideas of using digital cameras for literacy on Pre-K Pages blog
Another tool to learn about Music and Dance:You also can see some suggestions for LOW COST ways to add technology into children's play. What are some other technological TOOLS in your teaching toolbox?
- Using CD players or iPods to listen songs, dance, learn multicultural music.
- Download songs from iTunes that go with a story or topic you are learning about. (Learn more about how we do that with our "Book & Boogie" program!)
- Record a class song and make it available in the listening center for children to hear. Share it with families by burning a CD or emailing it.
Another tool to learn to Write / Draw:
- Use SMART board pens to practice writing and drawing on a large scale before practicing on paper.
- Share children’s writing/drawing using document camera or make a Powerpoint and display using a laptop and projector.